The Adult Students in Scholastic Transition (ASIST) award is sponsored annually by EWI, a non-profit international association that has been a champion of education and community involvement since 1938. The ASIST award is a flexible scholarship program that addresses the needs of adults who are working to improve their situation in life through education. The ASIST program benefits students who, for a variety of reasons, are facing work/life challenges. The applicants are either single parents, individuals just entering the workforce or displaced workers.
How it Works
Local chapters of EWI work with educational providers and social service agencies to identify potential candidates. Selection criteria include financial need; socially, physically, and/or economically disadvantaged adults; displaced homemakers; and heads of households with small children. The applicants compete at the chapter level with the opportunity to advance to compete at the corporate level.
- Local Chapters of EWI partner with educational providers and social services agencies to identify potential ASIST candidates. Students first apply and compete at the local Chapter level. Chapter-level winners are submitted to the corporate level for the opportunity to be selected for one of several scholarships ranging from $2,000 to $10,000. For 2022, the Corporate Board approved and awarded a total of $15,000 in additional scholarships.
- The ASIST award is available for socially, physically and/or economically disadvantaged adults, displaced homemakers, and/or heads-of-household who are responsible for small children or disabled or elderly adults. This need-based award can be used for tuition or other education-related expenses.
- EWI of Richmond generously supports the Corporate Program by providing up to three $2,500 Scholarships to successful candidates.
- Last year local EWI chapters and Corporate ASIST scholarships awarded over $250,000 in educational scholarships.
2021 ASIST Scholarship Award Winners
|Takia Anderson||Health Science / Nursing||Reynolds Community College|
|Melody Boarman||Accounting||Reynolds Community College|
|Catherine Diep||Nursing||Bon Secours Memorial School of Nursing|
|Kaylah Jones||Early Childhood Education||Reynolds Community College|
|Sara Khattab||Science and Pharmacy Technician||Reynolds Community College|
|Teunshea Morris||Small Business Management / Accounting||Reynolds Community College|
|Abdul Safi||Health Science / Nursing||Reynolds Community College|
|Stacie Venable||Criminal Justice||Reynolds Community College|
Submitting an Application
- Must be within the EWI Richmond Boundaries (listed below)
- Compete at the Chapter level for one of up to ten $2,000.00 scholarships
- One selected student will go on to compete for one of the seven Corporate Level Scholarships of ranging from $2,000 to $10,000.
- Generally awarded in July
EWI Richmond Boundaries include: Cities of Richmond, Ashland, Williamsburg, Petersburg, Hopewell and Colonial Heights, and Counties of Amelia, Caroline, Charles City County, Chesterfield, Cumberland, Dinwiddie, Goochland, Hanover, Henrico, Louisa, New Kent, Powhatan and Prince George.