The Adult Students in Scholastic Transition (ASIST) is sponsored annually by EWI, a non-profit international association that has been a champion of education and community involvement since 1938. The ASIST award is a flexible scholarship program that addresses the needs of adults who are working to improve their situation in life through education. The ASIST program benefits students who, for a variety of reasons, are facing work/life challenges. The applicants are either single parents, individuals just entering the workforce or displaced workers.
How it Works
Local chapters of EWI work with educational providers and social service agencies to identify potential candidates. Selection criteria include financial need; socially, physically, and/or economically disadvantaged adults; displaced homemakers; and heads of households with small children. The applicants compete at the chapter level with the opportunity to advance to compete at the corporate level.
- ASIST is a flexible scholarship program that addresses the needs of adults who are working to improve their situation in life through education. It benefits students who, for a variety of reasons, are facing work/life challenges.
- Local Chapters of EWI partner with educational providers and social services agencies to identify potential ASIST candidates. Students first apply and compete at the local Chapter level. Chapter-level winners are submitted to the corporate level for the opportunity to be selected for one of seven scholarships ranging from $2,000 to $10,000.
- The ASIST award is available for socially, physically and/or economically disadvantaged adults, displaced homemakers, and/or heads-of-household who are responsible for small children or disabled or elderly adults. This need-based award can be used for tuition or other education-related expenses.
- EWI of Richmond generously supports the Corporate Program by providing TEN $2,000 Scholarship to successful candidates.
- Last year local EWI chapters and Corporate ASIST scholarships awarded over $250,000 in educational scholarships.
2017 ASIST Scholarship Award Winners
|Makeba Berry||Accounting||Reynolds Community College|
|Lucille Dickerson||Pre-Nursing||Reynolds Community College|
|Catherine Diep||Nursing||Reynolds Community College|
|Angela Graves||Information Systems Technology and Cyber Security||Reynolds Community College|
|Taylor Jennings||Pre-Nursing||Reynolds Community College|
|Saadia Jones||Respiratory Therapy||Reynolds Community College|
|Heidi Mangiola||Automotive Technology Program||Reynolds Community College|
|Janice Rinker||Respiratory Therapy||Reynolds Community College|
|Jason Roark||Computer Science||Reynolds Community College|
|Engoh Tanwi||Pre-Nursing||Reynolds Community College|
Submitting an Application
- Must be within the EWI Richmond Boundaries (listed below)
- Compete at the Chapter level for one of ten $2,000.00 scholarships
- One selected student will go on to compete for one of the seven Corporate Level Scholarships of ranging from $2,000 to $10,000.
- Generally awarded in July
- Apply online for an ASIST Scholarship here APPLY HERE. Using this link, you can create a new account to apply online for an ASIST scholarship.
The deadline for submission is March 31, 2018.
For more information contact Vera Thoms, ASIST Chair, Vera.email@example.com or phone: 804-771-6064, or Sandy Naumann, Director-At-Large, Sandy.Naumann@mma-midatlantic.com or phone: 804-426-9576.
EWI Richmond Boundaries include: Cities of Colonial Heights, Hopewell, Petersburg, Richmond and Williamsburg; and the Counties of Amelia, Charles City, Chesterfield, Cumberland, Dinwiddie, Goochland, Hanover, Henrico, Louisa, New Kent, Powhatan, and Prince George.