EWI of Richmond was chartered June 6, 1967 with Mrs. Lucylle F. Gordon as President and 22 Member Firms. Of those 22 original firms there are only two remaining; Universal Leaf Tobacco Company (now Universal Corporation) and the Richmond Chamber of Commerce (now Greater Richmond Chamber).
Our Chapter boundaries include the cities of Richmond, Williamsburg, Petersburg, Hopewell and Colonial Heights; and the counties of Caroline, Chesterfield, Goochland, Hanover, Henrico, New Kent and Powhatan. A Member Firm’s primary business location must be in one of these locations.
As of August 2015, the Chapter directory lists 38 diverse member firms, 45 representatives, eight honorary members, and five life members.
Representatives from Member Firms annually elect a ten-member Board of Directors who serve from October to the following September. The responsibility of the Board is to administer Chapter business affairs, and provide leadership and assistance in establishing and carrying out the goals of the Chapter.
Download our brochure here.
EWI of Richmond generously supports and contributes to the community by supporting Corporate Philanthropic Programs as follows:
- EWISP (EWI Scholarship Program): Provides three $2,500 Scholarships to successful High School Juniors.
- ASIST (Adult Students in Scholastic Transition): Provides ten $2,000 Scholarships to successful candidates.
- Reading Rally (Literacy): The Richmond Chapter conducts a Reading Rally in the fall every year, to give children of the inner city a day of fun. Arts and crafts, activities (to include musicians, dancers, etc), and lunch are all provided. Prior to leaving the festival each child receives a goody bag filled with a book, crayons, ruler, colored paper, etc.
EWI offers many benefits to both the representative and the company. Individuals who participate in EWI have access to a variety of events and programs, and their companies benefit through the professional connections and the recognition as business leaders in their communities.
With the expansion of our new website currently under way, EWI Richmond Chapter will soon be able to provide active Chapter members access to “members only” features including:
- Online Member Directory
- Document Repositories
- Chapter Reference Library
- Featured Articles by Member Representatives
- and much, much more.
For detailed information about EWI Membership please see our Membership page.
All Chapter meetings are open to members only; all guests are by invitation only due to our non-compete rule. Business dress is appropriate for EWI monthly meetings.
- Meetings are held on the evening of the second Thursday of every month. (For further details see Events)
- The format includes a networking reception from 5:30 to 6:00, followed by dinner and a relevant program.
- Current monthly meeting fees to attend is $35.00 for active Representatives, guests, life and honorary members.
- For attendance purposes, Representatives must sign in at the hospitality table at each meeting.
- The Chapter provides each Representative with a name badge to be worn at Chapter meetings.
EWI Richmond Past Chapter Presidents
1967-68 – Lucylle F. Gordon*, Nationsbank
1969 – Beverly S. Mason, Lawyers Title Insurance Corporation
1970 – Hilda Johnson*, Universal Leaf Tobacco Company, Inc.
1971 – Gerry Ewing*, Ethyl Corporation
1972 – Patricia A. Sims, Robert L. Figg & Sons, Inc.
1973 – Jo Anne Cole, Retail Merchants Association of Greater Richmond
1974 – Marjorie C. Hawkins*, American Airlines, Inc.
1975 – Marjorie A. Wall*, Bill’s Barbecue, Inc.
1976 – Doris Gill, Robertshaw Controls Company
1977 – Carolyn Fleming, Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad Company
1978 – Jerry Rutledge, Miller & Rhoads
1979 – Jane S. Reilly, Greater Richmond Transit Company
1980 – Jacquelin Williams, Kings Dominion
1981 – Margaret Cunningham, Virginia Retail Merchants Association
1982 – Anita Haeberlin, Sovran Bank
1983 – Diane Griffin, Dick Strauss Ford-Isuzu-Suzuki, Inc.
1985 – Shirley Hess, A. H. Robins Company
1986 – Patricia A. Averett, Harrison & Bates, Inc.
1987 – Beverly K. Beadles, Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Company of Virginia
1988 – Eloise Jackson, Kings Dominion
1989 – Frances E. Minner, Hunton & Williams
1990 – Lynn B. Webster, Cadmus Communications Corporation
1991 – Emily H. Lester, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
1992 – Connie Pollard, East West Partners
1993 – Lillie Stratton, Greater Richmond Partnership, Inc.
1994 – Carolyn W. Yates, Greater Richmond Chamber Of Commerce
1995 – Elizabeth M. Perry, Trigon Healthcare, Inc.
1996 – Elizabeth Wilkes, Philip Morris USA
1997 – Debora Honodel, Southern States Cooperative
1998 – Michelle G. Lovatt, Metro Richmond Convention & Visitors Bureau
1999 – Judy L. Koger, Capital Region Airport Commission
2000 – Carolyn Raskind, Westminster Canterbury Richmond
2001- Debbie P. Clark, Universal Corporation
2002 – Mary P. Tinnell, Philip Morris USA
2003 – Karen F. Balmer, Virginia Commonwealth University
2004 – Karen L. Burke, IBM
2005 – Viki T. Frankenburger, Virginia Credit Union
2006 – Jody R. Baldwin, Citizens and Farmers Bank
2007 – Susan Lawton, Venturi Staffing Partners
2008 – Sylvia Gunter, The Dunmar Companies
2009 – Donna Edwards*, United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg
2010 – Christine Slate, Barrett Capital Management, LLC
2011 – Lauren Cordrey, Anthem Blue Cross & Blue Shield
2012 – Brenda Long, Dominion Resources
2013 – Dr. Heather Williamson, Transformation Group, LLC
2014 – Angela Roisten, Virginia Credit Union
2015 – Karen Kuhn, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond
2016 – Toni Bastian, Richmond Region Tourism
2017 – Karen Huffman, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond